Continuing my theme of gratitude, I’m lucky to live in a city with great Indian restaurants. Indian is one of my favourite types of food, and it’s always a great choice for vegetarians going out for supper. However, I’ve never had much success making it at home until now. This is the best dish I’ve ever made. It’s a flavourful, not-too-spicy cauliflower curry, mixed with rice for a quick supper. It’s a variation of this recipe.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup water (more if needed)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more to serve
- cooked rice, to serve
1. In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, 5 or so minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, curry powder, and turmeric and stir. Saute for another 2 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and cauliflower and stir. Let the cauliflower and potatoes pick up the spices for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the tomato. After 5 minutes, turn the heat down. Add the cilantro, salt and pepper. Let simmer until the potatoes and cauliflower are soft.
4. Serve with rice and garnish with additional cilantro.