I love this baked oatmeal on winter mornings. It is warm and filling, and, with hints of vanilla and cinnamon, it tastes decadent and sweet. It’s also great fuel for an afternoon run.
This recipe feeds 4 people, so it’s perfect for a family or for a couple (just bake 4 ramekins and store 2 in the refrigerator for the next morning).
The “finishing touches” on this oatmeal are up to you: I topped mine with a chopped banana and peanut butter, but brown sugar and milk would be classic, or maple syrup and walnuts would be delicious.
Cinnamon and Vanilla Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- salt, to taste (probably about 1/4 tsp – I used 1/2 tsp but I like my oatmeal salty)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine oats, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Add vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil and stir. Add milk, and stir.
4. Combine oat mixture with milk-egg mixture.
5. Let sit for 5 minutes, so the oats can soak up the milk.
6. Divide between 4 ramekins and bake in a water bath* for 25 minutes.
7. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
* To make a water bath, fill a big, high-sided pan with an inch or two of water. Put the ramekins in the pan, and insert the pan into the oven. The water bath lets the oatmeal bake evenly, ensuring maximum tastiness.
Recipe adapted from Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal by Christina at Dessert for Two.