If you are looking for another cookie to add to the Christmas baking list, in addition to the gingersnaps from my last post, these chocolate shortbread cookies are amazing. They are have a buttery, sandy texture, with soft bits of chocolate embedded throughout.
My cookies crumbled a lot while cutting them into slices. However, I just smooshed them back together and they still baked perfectly. So don’t worry about crumbs – just stick them back together, and they’ll turn out fine in the end. Better than fine – amazing!
Chocolate Chunk Chocolate Shortbread
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanila
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
1. Mix together cocoa powder, flour and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and salt.
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring just until barely mixed. Stir in chocolate chunks.
4. Dump dough on counter and separate into two portions. Roll portions into logs that are 1 1/2 inch wide. Wrap them snugly in plastic wrap and refrigerate anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325.
6. Slice logs into 1/2 inch slices. Stick any crumbs into the cookies and mold together any broken cookies – they’ll be fine.
7. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.