I’m thrilled to be part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck, an online gathering of cooks from around the globe, sharing delicious vegan recipes. Thanks to VVP team for organizing: Annie of An Unrefined Vegan, Somer of Vedged Out, and Jason of Jason and the Veganauts.
This salad makes a healthy, tasty lunch. The tangy dressing and nutty quinoa go wonderfully with the crispy, spicy tofu. Any greens or fresh vegetables will work, though I love the colour of spinach and peppers.
Quinoa and Tofu Salad
- half block of tofu, cut into pieces
- .5 tsp chili powder
- .25 tsp pepper
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To Serve:
- peppers, roughly chopped
- .5 cup quinoa, cooked
- spinach or other greens
1. Heat oil in saucepan over high heat.
2. Make tofu: Mix the chili powder, salt and pepper together. Rub into the tofu pieces. Fry the tofu pieces in the oil over high heat until brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
3. Make dressing: Combine oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.
4. Assemble salad: Add quinoa and peppers to spinach. Pour dressing over salad, and top with warm tofu.
Recipe serves 2.
Drain tofu before cutting into pieces. Pressing the tofu would make the pieces chewier, but it’s not necessary if you don’t have time (I don’t press it).
Thanks for stopping by the New Loaf. Continue on to Girl Eat Greens for another great vegan dish or head back to Gaia’s Creations for more vegan awesomeness — Or head to Vegan Bloggers Unite to start from the beginning.