To “lighten up” this banana bread, I used whole wheat and white flour. It also has far less sugar and fat than many other recipes.
Feel free to adapt this recipe to suit your tastes. I used chocolate chips and walnuts, but it would also be delicious with pecans and raisins or dates.
The bread freezes well and toasts nicely for a quick and delicious breakfast!
Healthy Banana Zucchini Bread
Adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 medium over-ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix together dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients).
3. In a separate bowl, mix together oil and sugar. Beat in eggs, then add zucchini and bananas.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and stir. Add chocolate chips and walnuts. Do not over-mix.
5. Pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
The banana bread should keep for 3 or 4 days.